Women can generally lose belly fat quicker than a man. Due to a higher percentage of body fat in women, it takes some extra effort though to reveal her six pack underneath. With lots of self-motivation and hard work a woman can expose her abs in a way that is both healthy and sexy!
A cautionary note is that a woman has to monitor her body fat percentage. It a good idea not to go below 12%. Also, heavily focused ab training can affect hormone stability. Keep in touch with your doctor or specialist during your training.
It’s vital to take charge of your food input. A little candy bar here or a small ice cream cone there (if not part of a regulated “cheating day” that you’re in control of) will wreak havoc on your program and your fitness goals. Motivate yourself by having a daily plan and feel good when you accomplish that daily goal. The results will follow – so stick with your plan.
- The first step is to cut out sugars, desserts, unhealthy snacks that are some of the main covering layers to your abs.
- saturated fats, trans fats (think potato chips)
- processed foods – premade anything that’s wrapped in plastic, like pastas, pizzas and other things that are designed for convenience, not health
- water and more water
- lots and lots of dark green leafy things (ie: spinach, kale, arugula)
- good lean quality proteins such as high grade lean meats, chicken, egg whites
- good fats like olive oil, avocados, fish
A combination of cardio/fat burning exercise, weight training ( yes weight training is very good for women too ) and some limited ab specific work will get you great results. You’ll feel better, have more energy and there will be noticeable results.
What You Should Do:
- 30 minutes of cardio at least 4 days per week. Some examples are running, dance, martial arts or programs like Nia or Zumba which combine elements from different systems
- Weight training in the form of circuits or body weight workouts 3 times per week ( This workout is a perfect example ). Make sure you focus on your whole body and not just specific areas in a desperate attempt to spot reduce or work just on your “bad” areas.
- strengthen your core by using a variety of ab and core strengthening exercises as found right here on sixpackfactory, for example here’s one and here’s another.
What You Shouldn’t Do:
- Don’t overdo the ab specific routines. As mentioned, this can affect your hormones.
- Don’t get below 12% body fat. Women have more enzymes for storing fat and fewer for burning it. In fact if you lower your body fat too much you risk injury and negative health issues.
Enjoy your workouts, the foods you eat and the results you obtain. You’ll feel great about yourself and you’ll cause many men (and women for that matter) to turn their heads and stare as you walk by!