In the great quest for proper abs nutrition, it can be difficult to sort out all the garbage from the good stuff. Well, let me rephrase that: It can be difficult if you allow it to be. Honestly, the perfect diet for six pack abs is simple. Eat fresh, whole, healthy foods with as few ingredients as possible. Translation? A whole, fresh apple contains one major ingredient: apple. On the other hand, apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal contains sugar, preservatives, additives, and a whole laundry list of chemically altered substances in addition to the tiny bit of apple flavoring and oats you may get. Now, which sounds better to you?
Banned From Nutrition
Even so, I’d rather you go for the oatmeal than that apple turnover pastry taunting you from the deli case. If you are ever going to get those six pack abs you crave, there are a few foods that you absolutely must ban—and I mean ban—from your diet. Forever! They are:
- White, bleached, enriched, or otherwise altered flour-based products. There is a reason diabetics are not supposed to eat white bread. White flour has absolutely zero, zilch, nadda, and zip in the way of nutritional value. Got that? Nothing. However, it is converted by the body to sugar when it hits the blood stream, which means that you are just about as well off eating a cupcake as you are to eat a sandwich on white bread. It is nutritionally bankrupt and makes you fat, period.
- French fries and potato chips a good diet for six pack abs does not make! Yes, I know, they say that everything’s fine in moderation. Wrong! Not only are these snacks made of nothing but starch and usually have chemical preservatives, but they are also marinated in trans fat oil. Stay away! If you must have fries, make them yourself at home from fresh potatoes and bake them in the oven.
- High fructose corn syrup. You knew it was coming, right? This little substance that has become so popular wreaks havoc on your abs nutrition, not to mention the rest of the body. It is not processed in the body the same way as table sugar, but rather has to go through the liver first. Manufacturers are beginning to call it “corn sugar” as well, so be very careful to read labels. Hint: no sodas!
- Frozen “diet” meals. You know, the ones that have the word “lean” in the name? They are nothing but one big chemically altered smorgasbord of terrible. Besides, a fresh grilled chicken breast with scallions tastes 10 times better anyway!
- Bad Fast Food. Most fast foods contain a lot of Trans Fats. You know the fats that have no essential purpose other than to lower you good cholesterol and increase your bad cholesterol. In other words, the only thing these kinds of foods is good for, is giving you a heart attack! Not to mention it will only take you away further from being ripped as well.
Clear these foods out of your abs nutrition plan forever, stick with foods whose ingredients you can readily and easily identify, keep it simple, and you’ll enjoy showing off those six pack abs in no time!